quinta-feira, 2 de abril de 2009

Updating the list

As you may know, the goal of this blog is to talk about the main things that I wish to enjoy during my post doc that will take place between the Netherlands and Portugal for the next two years. As I've said previously, I would like to come in contact with at least 30 good movies, 20 artists, 10 books and 10 wines.

About the movies, I already have 3 on this list: 1) Milk, 2) 2001 - a Space Odyssey, 3) Dr. Strangelove (this one I just saw and it's one of the best dark comedies of all times and just to watch Peter Sellers'performance - impersonating three characters - is more than a valid reason to watch this movie).

Concerning artists, I'm still exploring, but a few names have been suggested that I'm now paying close attention. I got to know John Schofield, Elbow, Minnie Riperton and a very curious ethiop jazz band and I started listening more to a few artists that I already knew like Jose Gonzalez and John Mayer.

Concerning books, the only yet on the list is The Lady with the Dragon Tatoo. It is part of a trilogy and I'm reading the second one now (I'll let you know what I think later). And the next book I'll read is Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. I would like some more suggestions concerning this topic.

And finally wines. The only wines I honestly know by name and can tell the types I really like are the portuguese ones. And so, I haven't had many opportunities to try some of those wines that I read about. But for now I can tell you that I tried Vertente, a wine by Dirk Niepoort (coincidentially, a Dutch living in Portugal) which I really liked as I liked all wines I tried made by this producer.

Will keep posting more things that I come in contact.
Hope you keep sending suggestions

2 comentários:

  1. Try Canonau Di Sardegna, one of the best Italian wines.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi Rui,

    Movie suggestion: Ghost Dog (by Jim Jarmusch)

    Book as well as movie suggestion: No country for old men (which you probably already saw). The book is of course better with regards to the inner dialogues and thoughts, but you have to see the bad guy in the movie. Cormac McCarthy is one of the best living authors in my opinion.

    Music: Any specific reason the pixies are missing from your list? Nick Cave?

    ResponderEliminar