segunda-feira, 6 de abril de 2009

Movie #4 - It's a wonderful life

A new addition to the list of 30 movies: 'It's a wonderful life'. Not to be confounded with The life is beatiful by Benigni. This one instead, is a movie from 1946 by Frank Capra with the wonderful James Stewart and Donna Reed.
It is the quintessencial of the feel good movies, and I'm sure served as inspiration for most of them. The story is basic. Tells about a man who is about to commit suicide and a guardian angel shows them how life would have been if he did not exist.
The acting is superb, the feeling of the movie in general is incredible and it is a definite classic where you see a lot of the aspects that influenced movies in the following decades.

Still on the topic of movies, I saw Burn after reading of the Coen brothers, and I must say that I do not consider it to be a work of art. I think the acting is fantastic, the cast is excellent, but the plot is just not well explored. As for many Coen brothers'movies, this movie is less about the ending and more about the journey. But in this case, it really felt that it ended abruptly and with no excitement.

On other topics, I finished reading The Lady who played with fire, the second volume of the Millenium series trilogy by Stieg Laarson. Though I have mildly enjoyed it, I do not consider it good enough to be a part of the list of books. The book offers a full insight into one of the main characters (Lisbeth Salander, which continues to be a positive point in this book also), but I think the book strategically fails in terms of the attention it devotes to certain story plots and certain details that provoke a very slow pace and harden the reading at times, making it less enjoyable.
I am now reading Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut, of which I will talk more in the future.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário