domingo, 7 de março de 2010

Movie #13 - An education

By this time of the year, this blog turns into an almost exclusive movie blog. And that is because when it's Oscars time, if you live in Europe, it means that's when most of the nominated movies are showing in theaters. So, I always go to movies very often in these weeks surrounding the oscars. Last night, I went to see "An Education" which is nominated for best picture. What a refreshing movie. I really enjoyed it and I felt passionate about the movie, the same way I felt it when I was watching Inglorious Basterds (also nominated).
The best thing about the movie is called Carey Mulligan, the young actress portraying Jenny, the main character. Peter Saarsgard also goes along very well, very smoothly I would say. But Carey Mulligan is absolutely unforgettable in the role of a bright, interesting and sweet young student trying to get into Oxford who meets David, an older man who seems to be able to provide her with the life she always dreamed of. I did not see any of the other movies where the other nominees for best actress were, but I could easily see this girl getting the Oscar. My only doubt could be that I don't know her from other movies. I know she was in another movie that I saw (Public enemies) but I just don't remember her there. So, this person that she was in the movie could simply be the person she is in reality, which would make it a lot easier for her. But I just saw some information about her and realized she won several awards already (despite being only 24 years old). So, her performance in An Education was not a fluke and therefore it is oscar deserving. Whether she is the one who deserves it more, I don't know. But it's not a wrong attribution if she gets it.
The movie is also good for other aspects: the secondary characters. Alfred Molina and Rosamund Pike, provide some very funny moments in the movie. The expressions that Rosamund Pike makes as a dumb blonde are priceless. Emma Thompson shows up for a total of less than 10m and almost steals the movie. The songs chosen are good. The recreation of the 60's in England is also well made. I don't like the fast pace of the ending, but all in all is a good nominee for Best Picture.
Tonight is Oscar night, and I'm now deciding whether to go ser A serious man or A single man. The first is nominated for best Picture and the second is nominated for best actor. I can't even use the title as a criterion for choice...

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário