terça-feira, 3 de fevereiro de 2009

This blog starts with a simple intent.
To talk about five things I want to enjoy during the duration of my postdoc:
Movies, music, books, wines and the postdoc in itself.

Since, a big part of my postdoc will take place in Nijmegen, the oldest city in the Netherlands, I will also take the opportunity to talk about life in the Netherlands.

About the movies, music, books, and wines.
I've always loved movies and music. And I consume a lot of it.
As for books, I've never read that much but I intend to change that.
And concerning wines, it is definitely an acquired taste... and boy, have I acquired it!!
I definitely know more about movies and music than about books and wines. But I'd really like to gather suggestions on all topics.
And this relates to the ulterior goal that led me to write this blog.
Before my postdoc ends, I want to enjoy (at least) 30 amazing movies, 20 great new artists (new to me!), 10 captivating books and 10 unforgettable wines.
And do a professional postdoctoral research in the meantime!

Therefore, for the next few years, I will write about these things and I really hope to have some people send me suggestions... maybe from the 3 readers that will follow this blog (that's what I'm aiming for).

6 comentários:

  1. Who are those 3 readers? Mom, Dad and dog? :-)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Sounds great!

    I only have a problem with the numbers involved... Well, I get the 1 post-doc. But why only 30 movies, 20 artists, 10 books and 10 wines? 100 each wouldn't be better?

    As for the suggestions:
    - I guess you can get at least 1 amazing movie from the current selection in exhibition at the Lux, Nijmegen (Burn After Reading, Gomorra, Milk, Revolutionary Road, Slumdog Millionaire, The Wrestler and Vicky Cristina Barcelona).
    - regarding the artists, you should start looking in the surrounding area, namely look for the Kröller-Müller Museum and the surrounding park. And since you want artists, not places, one of the most impressive living artists as a piece there - in the sculpture garden of the KM museum -, Richard Serra.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Life sounds great in the netherlands doing a post doc with 30 movies, 20 artists, 10 books (you could improve this) all "regated" with 10 wines (I don't know the word in english, so please translate it to your friends. I hope the result is, above all the fun, 10 articles in ISI's journals! Beijos

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Rui sc, these are minimal goals. If I can make 100 of each that will be great.
    And thanks for the advice.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Sounds and looks great, Rui-without-a-stick-in-the-hair! Risking to sound very predictable (especially for Rui-with-the-stick-in-his-hair) I recommend "Revolutionary Road" as a film (has an odd effect on some couples), "A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson as a book (but I suspect this is not the kind of book you were aiming for...) and you might want to take a look at Hazmat Modine as a musical group. As for wines, I'm still in the pre-acquisition stage, unfortunately. And finally as a post doc I suggest you develop a theory about the "post-hermeneutic approach to migration issues as a metaphysical entity". That would be interesting...
    Keep in touch!
    Saudades,
    Sara

    ResponderEliminar
  6. :)

    There are 2 things explicitly implicit in the comment I posted earlier. Here we go:

    1) I'm (at least) a bit stupid! Because it's quite obvious that "Artists" in this blog refers to people doing music (aka musicians)... My mistake, I have to acknowledge. But... (and this take us to the second implicit element in the last comment)

    2) You could/should consider "other" artists in this blog. Those that have work in places like the Kröller-Müller Museum. Let's say, something like: "in this post-doc I want to be touched by 10 new contemporary artists".

    My silly mistake is probably due to a perceptual impairment. Or, more gently, to a perceptual bias. In fact, I read "artists" and, in my mind, Gerhard Richter pops up immediately. That's life! And life is good!

    ResponderEliminar