segunda-feira, 16 de março de 2009

#1 Book: The lady with the dragon tattoo



I finished reading the first book that someone suggested since I’ve created this blog.
The book is called “The lady with the dragon tattoo”and is part of a trilogy written by the late Stieg Larsson (Swedish writer and journalist). In English the trilogy is called “The Millenium series”.
I took the story of the book from Amazon: Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo.

Now my opinion: I think it’s a great crime novel. For a crime novel, it is superior among its kind, but I don’t think it will captivate those who don’t appreciate this kind of literature.
I feel that the story has some very strong original elements, namely the female main character – Lisbeth Salander – and the fact that it is presented with a very well-crafted writing, usually not seen in this type of literature. It has, nonetheless, some very cliché aspects, starting with the cover (this is the edition that I read, I’m sure the author would probably have a more original idea than this) and the title. In fact, concerning the title, I really think that is inadequate. I think it simply has this title because it refers to Lisbeth, a character who is prominent in the whole trilogy, but for this book many other titles would be suitable.
All in all, it is a good book that I certainly recommend for those who appreciate crime novels.

3 comentários:

  1. Bring the book when you come back. I'm sure I'll love it :-)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Muito obrigado para o PR, and here's the original cover of the Swedish edition, Men Who Hate Women: http://www.norstedtsforlagsgrupp.se/templates/Agency/Book.aspx?id=40764

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Thank you for this image. And I would definitely prefer this cover.
    Congratulations on the translation.
    I hope you did for the other books too.
    I'm going to buy those soon

    ResponderEliminar