quarta-feira, 15 de julho de 2009

Yann Tiersen in Lisbon

A few days ago I attended a concert here in Lisbon by Yann Tiersen. Yann Tiersen who achieved world fame after creating the soundtrack for the movie "Amélie" and then for "Goodbye Lenin" raised great expectations for me about what this concert would be. I wasn't under the ilusion that I was going to hear soundtracks for two hours but I was expecting a talented musician and a calm beatiful evening. I got the first part right. I would say that Yann Tiersen is the most talented musician that I've seen in concert. He plays guitar as easily as the accordeon or the piano and he is absolutely amazing with the violin. Unfortunately the concert was much more aggressive than I was hoping for. As I read somewhere it was much closer to Sonic Youth than Amelie. Nonetheless the band was made up of amazing musicians and it was fun to watch, but I was expecting something different. There were only two songs from Amélie and even those were completely altered, and only those completely familiared with this soundtrack could recognize it. One of these songs was, for me (but also for the rest of the crowd), the highest point of the whole concert. The music was Sur le Fil, a less known song from Amelie's soundtrack. You can listen to it here. But this is the original version. What I heard in concert was absolutely unforgettable. It was Yann Tiersen alone playing the violin. You can check a very similar version here. You should wait for the final part to be completely swept off your feet. I hope you enjoy as much as I did. That moment made my night.

1 comentário:

  1. Awesome version of "Sur le Fil" on the violin. Didn't know it. I'm already regretting not going to the concert :-)

    ResponderEliminar