sexta-feira, 3 de julho de 2009

Movie #9 - The Godfather

One may wonder: How is it possible that a movie aficionado like me hadn't seen the godfather yet?
Well, in fact, I did see the movie before, but I realized that I did not remember anything about the movie except for one or two blurred scenes. I saw the movie when I was very young and one thing that fascinated me was the fact that the memories I had of this movie was that I had really enjoyed it, even though I saw it at an age when I was more interested in action loaded american blockbusters and when I couldn't sit still for three hours to see such a slow paced movie. So, I decided I needed to devote my full atention to this classic... and what wonderful three hours I spent watching such a cinematic opera prima.
The camera angles, the choice of light, the sets, the dialogues (oh man the dialogues! - leave the gun, take the cannoli; I'll make him an offer he can't refuse.), the acting (Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Duvall in such a constrained but wonderfull part, James Caan, they're all great), all tied together with an unforgetable score... it gives you the feeling that you were entitled to witness for three hours to the events of a mafia family in the 1940's and 1950's in America and you simply believe that those characters will live on after you turn off the tv or walk out of the movie theater (well actually, 18 of them, including the horse don't live on).
Definitely, one of the greatest movies I've ever seen and if this sounds like a cliché that's because sometimes reality is obvious and the majority is sometimes right.
Do make an effort to see this movie if you haven't (or even if you have seen it before, it's always a pleasure).

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário